Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year's Revolutions


Hi! I am going to start off this blog by telling you a little about myself. 

My name is Abbie Benson, from Elma, NY. It is a small town outside of Buffalo. I am a young freshman at Penn State, for recently turning 18 a couple weeks ago. My reason for coming to Penn State is too be on the Track team and to study Nutrition. 

Like most of my English 15 classmates, I will be posting weekly for Penn Staters to be healthy, and more importantly, happy. 

A little while ago, it was New Year's Eve. New Year's Eve is a time to look at your past, yet make goals for the upcoming year. After reflecting my years, I wanted to resolve some poor habits, and change myself for the better. 

As exercise has been associated with great health benefits, great bodies, and lots of energy, however, being on a demanding and tiring track team- extra exercise is not the first thing on my mind. I am looking more towards food, joining clubs to become happier. 

Therefore for weeks too come I'll be posting about ways Penn State can provide happiness and healthiness. 

First topic I will discuss is how to stay healthy in the cafeteria/dinning commons. A way to not eat much is to ditch the cafeteria tray. That way, there will be no need to pile too much food or grab bad food choices. But most importantly, you only have two hands and can only grab the necessary food.

Another tip is to skip the soda! You can easily save 200-400 calories a meal, which is half a meal, or dessert. Stick with water, that way you will save calories and keep you hydrated.

Lastly, another tip is eating slower in the cafeteria. When you eat slow and enjoy the food, you will know when you are full and not go over the limit and into a food coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment